[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Justice Department Security

> Have any other sites ever been affected in this way, and what is stopping
> hackers from causing mayhem on any similar sites?

Some months ago, the Euskadi Koordination web server suffered a similar
attack.

Euskadi Koordination is an organization intending to internationally spread
knowledge about [their view of] the current political situation in
Euskalherria (Northern Spain and Southwest France -- also called Basque
Country). Their political alignement is very close to that of terrorist
organization E.T.A., although Euskadi Koordination is explicitly
anti-violent.

A group of crackers, presumably from Valladolid University, placed blue
ribbons as the background for all pages in the web. The blue ribbon is the
symbol Basque people use to claim for the end of E.T.A. terrorism -- a symbol
of peace. [At that same time the 'blue ribbon' campaign for freedom of speech
in the I-net was going on, but that's probably just an accidental
coincidence].

Following this, a campaign was promoted to mail-bomb Euskadi Koordination, by
sending them thousands of e-mail messages intended to fill up their mailbox.
This of course caused saturation of their web hosting provider resources (a
Swiss company) who decided to close their site. The site was later re-opened
through a Belgian web hosting provider, at URL www.knooppunt.be/~euskadi.
Check it for more info on the organitzation and on the attack. I presume the
security set-up of this later provider is much stronger, since otherwise the
arrack would probably had been repeated.

There was much discussion about the ethics of those attacks, which were
mostly welcomed or even promoted by the media. Many people saw it as just a
way of showing refusal, which is probably the case with the mail-bombing
attack. My personal view is that the web server cracking was an illegal
action against a perfectly legal (even if anti-pathetic) organization, and
thus ethically incorrect.

Hope this info is of some help to you.

Faithfully,

--